Highly effective in preventing tooth decay and strengthening enamel, fluoride is a naturally-occurring mineral that is found in certain foods and water. Individuals at a high risk of developing tooth decay can greatly benefit from supplemental fluoride applications.
Fluoride benefits teeth in two ways:
- Increases the strength of tooth enamel
- Restores tooth enamel, which reverses tooth decay
There are many reasons patients receive supplemental fluoride applications. Some of these include:
- Root surfaces that are exposed or sensitive
- Grooves and fissures on the molars
- Poor oral hygiene
- Limited fluoride exposure
- High consumption of sugar
- Prior history of tooth decay
- Inadequate flow of saliva
Fluoride applications can be completed in just one visit. The treatment involves applying fluoride directly to the teeth in the form of a gel, foam or varnish painted on or by using trays that are worn over the teeth. After the procedure, the patient may be instructed to not eat or drink anything for at least an hour so that their teeth can fully absorb the fluoride.
If you want to learn more about fluoride applications and how the treatment can be used to help you protect your teeth, please contact us at 734-441-0200 to schedule an appointment.